UK tries to turn around SEC start, hosts Tennessee

By David Schuh | @DSchuhKernel

SEC losses at UK have been a rarity in the John Calipari era. Home losses, SEC or otherwise, were non-existent until last month.

Now, in a season that has been a struggle with consistency for the Cats, Calipari has to right the ship quickly to avoid an unthinkable result for UK fans – missing the NCAA Tournament.

When the latest AP Poll came out Monday afternoon, the Cats were not just out of the top 25, they didn’t receive a single vote, a first since Calipari arrived in Lexington.

A home loss to Texas A&M, and Elston Turner’s 40 points, Saturday was more proof to the young team that they need more work to reach the potential they have been expected to attain.

Since Saturday’s loss, Calipari has talked about having his players “buy in” to what he wants them to do. Some teams in the past have done it quicker than others, but he says this team is learning the process.

“You have to be able to say ‘How do you want me to play?’ and that’s how I’m going to play,” Calipari said. “It may not be the way you want to play, and most likely not a way you’ve ever played…Those are the kind of things we’re fighting through.”

UK was obviously credited with the loss, but after watching the tape last night, the UK head coach was happy with how his team played, giving due credit to the third biggest opponent scoring total Rupp Arena has ever seen.

“Short of the guy getting 40 on us, we played better,” Calipari said. “That’s what’s scary. If that kid doesn’t get 40, and we win the game, the country is talking about Nerlens.”

That’s because Noel had a game that not many players have ever had. The freshman center’s final stat line, 15 points, 11 rebounds, seven blocks, six assists and four steals is something no Divison I NCAA player has acheived in a game since the 1996-97 season.

When he has been combined with freshman center Willie Cauley-Stein in recent games, (the latter started his first career game last month against Louisville) Noel and his fellow bigman have begun to click.

The combo has combined for 74 percent shooting in those last four games. In that time, they’re averaging 19 points and 17 rebounds per outing, even though two of those games ended in defeat.

Tuesday’s game against the Volunteers is sure to hold a different kind of feel, given the rivalry that has developed between the sides.

At 8-6, Tennessee comes in losers of three straight games to Memphis, Ole Miss and Alabama.

UK has won the last five meetings against Tennessee, but the Vols’ players have a different feeling about this contest.

“It’s definitely different this year,” UT sophomore forward Jarnell Stokes said to Vols.com. “We plan on winning in Rupp Arena.”

In order to do that, they’ll have to overcome a clear height disadvantage. The Vols’ tallest player is 6-foot-9 senior forward

Kenny Hall, who averages just less than seven points per game. But, between Hall and 6-foot-8, 270-pound Stokes, the Cats will have to play a complete game.

“There are going to be people out there saying we are not good enough,” Cauley-Stein said. “Then you have people who say this is going to be a slow process and there are still a lot of games to be made. I think now we are going to be the only ones who have our back through the whole thing. We just have to stick with each other.”

The game tips off Tuesday night at 7 p.m. It will be televised nationally on ESPN.