Furry friends to help students relieve stress

By Morgan Eads

Students will have an opportunity to escape the mounting pressures of dead week to indulge in several methods of stress relief from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday in Commons 308 A&B.

University Health Service is hosting the event, which includes playing with dogs from the Lexington Humane Society, with the intent of helping students who are working toward the upcoming finals week to relax.

Brandy Reeves, health education coordinator for UHS, said this is an excellent and unique opportunity to cool down during this stressful time.

“The dogs are really entertaining,” she said. “They’re just fun to watch.”

Reeves said there will be an added bonus to the event this year.

“This is the first year we are doing massages; it’s a nice twist,” she said. “If you are stressed, definitely take advantage.”

The event is open to all students and everyone will be able to play with the dogs.

“We just let the dogs loose in the room,” Reeves said. “Students will sit on the floor and play with them.”

The event will be good for the dogs as well as the students, said Carrie Kenady, volunteer coordinator at the Lexington Humane Society.

“It’s great for the animals to go out and be socialized,” she said. “Their routine is in the shelter every day, and it’s just so great for them to get out.”

Though bringing the dogs to the event does not help the shelter monetarily, it could help some of the animals’ chances for adoption.

“It’s always good to get exposure for animals. People don’t always know they’re here and how many good dogs we have,” Kenady said. “It is great to let the people see how amazing our dogs are.”

Kenady also mentioned the importance of taking breaks from the frenzied study schedules students have.

“It’s really important to relax. You can’t be productive when you’re stressed,” she said. “It’s good to take time out for yourself. That way you will be more focused when go back to studying.”

Spending time with animals is a good way to de-stress, Kenady said.

“Animals just really bring light into your world and calm you down,” she said.

Mechanical engineering freshman Tim Ford also thought the time spent with animals could be beneficial to frazzled students.

“Animals are just adorable and fun to be with,” he said. “It definitely beats looking at a book or papers for hours on end.”