Cats aim to right the ship against Samford

By David Schuh | @KernelSchuh

Coming off back-to-back losses for only the second time in the last four seasons, the UK men’s basketball team will try to right the ship Tuesday night when they welcome Samford University to Rupp Arena.

The Cats dropped out of the AP Poll Monday afternoon, which, from No. 8, was the largest single-week drop for any team since the rankings expanded to 25 teams in 1990. It marks the first time the Cats have been unranked under John Calipari.

The losses to Notre Dame and Baylor were a bit of a shock to the young UK players, many of whom quickly experienced their first taste of widespread fan displeasure.

“It was a long time coming,” freshman forward Willie Cauley-Stein said about deleting his Twitter account last week. “It’s all nonsense anyway. I don’t want to look at it anymore.”

The panic has been felt across the fanbase since Saturday’s loss, which ended UK’s 54-game home winning streak, the longest in the country.

Calipari held two practices yesterday, something he said he rarely does but felt was necessary given his team’s current struggles.

“We changed up stuff,” Calipari said. “This team needs it. You’ve got to fall in love with the gym, even when we’re not in practice … Well, it’s kind of showing.”

Sophomore forward Kyle Wiltjer, who was 1-11 from the field Saturday, was in the gym getting shots up before practice, his shirt already soaked with sweat.

“That’s a good sign,” Calipari said. “We need some other guys to do it. That’s the scary part.”

Sophomore guard Ryan Harrow played significant time at point guard on Saturday. Calipari said he hopes Harrow continues to progress while playing the other guards alongside.

“He’s got to play winning basketball,” Calipari said. “I want Jarrod (Polson) to fight and hold the spot. I’ve played with all kinds of different point guards; the game is a little different.”

Freshman guard Archie Goodwin, who had been used exclusively at the point guard in the first six games, is ready to potentially move back to shooting guard.

“I feel comfortable playing the two a little more because it’s my natural position,” Goodwin said. “Ryan is definitely going to help us as soon as he gets in the groove of things. It is going to make the game a lot easier for a lot of us because he is a great facilitator and a great player.”

Samford enters the game Tuesday with a 2-7 record, having lost their last six games. The Bulldogs lost to Louisville 80-54 and recently lost to Florida Gulf Coast by 24.

The game is scheduled to tip at 7 p.m. and will be broadcast on Fox Sports South.