Wiggins, Huntington dominate in Hoopfest finale

By Nick Jones | @Kernel_Nick

The final contest of the Marshall County Hoopfest between Huntington Prep Academy, W.Va., and Briarcrest Christian School, Tenn., turned out not to be much of a contest after all.

No. 1 ranked recruit Andrew Wiggins and his Huntington team were too much for their opponents, although it took some time for the Express to find their feet.

Some errant field goal attempts from their star player contributed to Huntington’s slender 7-6 lead over Briarcrest at the end of the opening quarter.

Wiggins only point in the opening period came from the free-throw stripe. But even with the late start, the Canadian still managed to earn game MVP honors.

The hundreds of Cats fans in attendance were delighted to see the man they had cheered for all night, including some chants of “Go Big Blue”, see him receive his award from former UK player Derek Anderson.

It is easy to understand why UK head coach John Calipari has made Wiggins his top priority for the 2013 class as the star forward finished with 25 points and 9 rebounds.

Calipari was expected to be present at the game, but opted to skip the trip following the Cats loss earlier in the day to Baylor at Rupp Arena.

Finishing with 15 points and 5 rebounds for Huntington Prep was another potential UK target, Montaque Gill-Caesar, a guard in the class of 2015.

Check back with the Kentucky Kernel over the coming days for full recap of Hoopfest 2012 .