UK fights to 81-70 victory over Morehead

By David Schuh | @KernelSchuh

In what may have been the most physical game they play all year, the UK men’s basketball team fought to an 81-70 victory over Morehead State Wednesday night at Rupp Arena.

The Eagles were called for 32 personal fouls, only three less than their total number of rebounds.

Their aggressive play gave the Cats trouble in the first half. The Eagles took a 23-12 lead in the first half, holding UK to under 30 percent shooting in the process.

“You have to give Morehead credit,” UK head coach John Calipari said. “They came right at us and we didn’t respond early.”

With a last-second layup by freshman guard Archie Goodwin, however, the Cats had a one-point lead at halftime.

“That’s how everybody is going to play us,” Calipari said. “These dudes are coming at your face. It’s what this team needs. This is how you learn.”

In what has become a trend this season, UK came out a much better defensive team in the second half. MSU’s field goal percentage shrunk, ultimately finishing at 36 percent.

And, as a result of all the fouls, the Cats took 41 free throws, from which they shot 75 percent.

UK used a 16-2 run near the middle of the second half to gain a double-digit lead that they wouldn’t surrender.

Goodwin, starting at point guard for the third straight game for absent sophomore guard Ryan Harrow, had his best game of the year. The freshman finished with 28 points, six rebounds and four assists. It is the seventh-most points by a freshman in UK history.

“I’m a lot more confident than I was coming in,” Goodwin said. “I give that credit to Coach Cal, because him staying on me has helped me a lot.”

Freshmen forward Alex Poythress added 20 points and eight rebounds, and shot a perfect eight-for-eight from the free throw line.

“Alex and Archie were tremendous,” Calipari said. “Those two had a will to win.”

Freshman center Nerlens Noel filled the stat line again Wednesday night, finishing with nine points, eleven rebounds, six blocks and four assists.

“They have to be thrown into situations like this,” Calipari said. “But we’re getting better. I like my team.”

The Cats return to action Friday night when they host LIU Brooklyn in the final game of the Barclays Center Classic. The game is scheduled to start at 7 p.m.