Wiggins shines before local crowd of blue

By Nick Jones | @Kernel_Nick

Andrew Wiggins, the top-rated player in high school basketball, and his Huntington Prep team made their way to Scott Co. Sunday.

Huntington Prep, the No. 1 ranked team in the country, defeated Christian Faith Academy, 61-44, at Scott County High School.

More than 2,000 UK fans decked out in their blue and white gear welcomed Wiggins, who finished with 17 points and 11 rebounds.

“Not my best, but I still competed and showed what I had,” Wiggins said during his post-game press conference. “My team stepped up, and we got the W.”

As expected, the fan support certainly did not disappoint.

“The atmosphere was great. All the fans loved me, supported my team,” Wiggins said. “It’s a great place to play basketball.”

“He knows the difference between Florida State and Kentucky, as far as the fans and the level of attendance and things like that,” Huntington Prep head coach Rob Fulford added.

But, UK fans were not the only spectators in the building. A few current UK players made the short trip to Central Kentucky, including Wiggins’ former teammate with the Canadian national team, Kyle Wiltjer.

Accompanying Wiltjer were UK head coach John Calipari and assistants, Orlando Antigua and Kenny Payne.

“It’s an honor that they’re coming out to watch me play and show the love and support they’re giving me,” Wiggins said of seeing the staff.

The 6-foot-8 wing insisted that he will wait until spring to make a commitment, and listed “Kentucky, Florida State, Kansas, Ohio State and UNC,” as the schools still recruiting him.

Wiggins has been in contact with Calipari and the rest of his coaching staff, he said.

“We talk every once in a while. They pop up at a game ever now and then or shoot me a text,” said the Toronto native.

But what has the UK coaching staff told Wiggins about the possibility of joining the already No. 1 ranked recruiting class in 2013?

“They said we’d basically be unstoppable if all of us, all the great players playing there, if I come next year to 2013 and you’d get the team to beat,” Wiggins said.

Wiggins definitely would not mind playing with the other talented wing players that UK’s class of 2013 has to offer, such as Aaron Harrison and James Young.

“Great players can play with other great players, so I wouldn’t mind playing with them,” Wiggins said. “It would just make me better playing against them in practice every day.”

Should Wiggins pledge his services to the Cats in the spring, it would give UK head coach John Calipari arguably the greatest recruiting class of all time.

But for now, the world’s top amateur basketball player is not paying attention to any of that.

“No, I’m just trying to live my life and play basketball because the season just started, and just cherish every moment I have in high school for now because I know college is coming up soon.”