Rock-the-Dot celebrates VIP’s green dot strategy

By Jennifer Abreu

The fourth annual Rock-the-Dot Talent and Variety Show, presented by the Violence Prevention and Intervention Center, brought together many different talents in the Student Center Cats Den on Thursday night.

Rock-the-Dot is a celebration of the VIP’s Green Dot Strategy — a safe path to a violent-free campus and community.

Performers incorporated the Green Dot in some way, whether it be wearing green or sharing a Green Dot story.

Dajom Spades won first place for his singing performance, followed by Wreckless Dance Incorporated in second place and the women of Paws and Listen in third.

The audience also voted on their favorite performances. The most creative performance award went to Paws and Listen, best Green Dot performance went to Allen Benningfield, who sang and played guitar, and Dajom Spades took home best overall award.

Grad student and TA Allen Benningfield had the crowd singing along with his performance of “Rainbow Connections.”

Nursing freshman Lucas Isaacs and undeclared freshman K’Driyona Love said they enjoyed all the performances but had their favorites.

“Dajom Spades hit every note correctly,” Isaacs said. “He just killed it.”

Love pointed out the sharp performance of Wreckless Dance Inc.

“Their coordination is amazing,” she said.

The dance crew was initiated by UK students DeVon Ballenger, Alexus Heard (who represented Wreckless onstage) and Shaumia Turner. This was their second performance, Ballenger said.

“We just started, and it’s awesome to be able to participate with different organizations on campus,” Heard said.

Ballenger said they were not aware the talent show was a competition, but placing second is a definite plus.

“It’s nice to get recognized,” Ballenger said.

Quinton Marks II, performed Adele’s “Someone Like You.” He said it was his first time performing in front of a crowd.

“I felt amazing up there,” he said.

Marks is a business management freshman but singing is also in his plans for the future.