Plans for soccer complex released, new facility to open in 2013

By Tom Hurley | @TomHurleyKernel

Renderings of the new stadium to be built for UK’s men and women’s soccer teams have been released by UK Athletics.

The permanent structure is projected to be completed in time for the 2013 seasons, and will be built on the site of the current UK Soccer Complex.

Designed by Kentucky architectural company Luckett & Farley, the stadium will form part of the new softball and soccer complex, with work already underway on construction of the new softball stadium.

The two stadiums will be linked by a pair of bridges, one allowing media to move between a shared press lounge, the other for the use of fans to make use of the concession stands and bathrooms in each structure.

A concourse between the two new buildings will house further fan amenities which can be used during both soccer and softball games.

While final plans for capacity have yet to be confirmed, it is anticipated 3,000-4,500 seats will be built at the complex.

Fans and students will also be able to enjoy games from standing room at field level, with an upgrade to the current merchandise tent also on the cards.

Grass banking opposite the current bleachers will remain and will be opened to spectators if extra capacity is needed, allowing a further 2,000 fans to attend games.

New locker rooms, players lounges and staff offices will be built into the new structure as the university aims to improve things off the pitch to match recent success on the field.

After picking up its first NCAA Tournament win in program history last week, women’s soccer travel to San Diego, Calif. Friday to play UCLA in round two.

Men’s soccer has enjoyed a strong season under first year head coach Johan Cedergren, securing qualification to the NCAA Tournament for the first time in nine seasons.

Redevelopment of UK Soccer Complex, along with plans to improve training facilities, combined with winning programs could signal the start of a storied chapter for UK soccer.

Thursday night will see the final game at the current facility, when the men’s team host Xavier in round one of the NCAA Tournament. Kick-off is scheduled for 7 p.m.