UK Hockey travels to Akron

By Char Grimm

The UK hockey team will take on the University of Akron this weekend in a two game road trip. Akron will go into the games with a record of 5-6-0 on the season. Heading to Akron, the Cats are 4-5-0. The Cats won both games against Akron last season.

The Cats split with Alabama and Dayton this past weekend, despite a five goal weekend effort by captain Sean McLaughlin.

“(Akron) is on roughly the same level as Dayton and Ohio,” assistant captain Dylan Rohar said, noting how the Cats split with Ohio, and were close with Dayton during the games played this season.

“If we come out as we did during our first game against Ohio, we will play well,” assistant captain Jeremy Schmidt said. The first game against Ohio University, the Cats had a fast start, something they have appeared to lack in games since.

“We have to learn consistency,” admitted junior defensemen Patrick Wittman, “We aren’t going to be satisfied with a split this weekend.”

The past few weekends, the Cats have appeared to have issues capitalizing during the second games. During the Ohio games, the Cats won decisively Friday night before falling to the Bobcats on Saturday evening. The same thing happened this past weekend with Alabama and Dayton.

“We need to rest and just focus on the game ahead,” Schmidt said, adding that it is easier to do this when the team was out of town to avoid distractions.

Friday’s game will begin at 8:30 p.m. and Saturday the puck drops at 3:30 p.m. All games will be played at the Center Ice Sports Complex in North Canton, Ohio.