Andrew Wiggins will not attend BBM

By Tom Hurley | @TomHurleyKernel

Five-star 2014 recruit Andrew Wiggins has decided not to attend Big Blue Madness Friday.

The 6-foot-7 recruit has elected to return to his native Toronto for the weekend instead of visiting Lexington, according to a report by Evan Daniels of Scout.com

Saturday and Sunday may be the last weekend the young Canadian has free until the spring due to the hectic basketball schedule of his Huntington Prep, W. Va., high school.

Wiggins had previously planned to attend the Rupp Arena event, news that was confirmed to the Kernel earlier this month via a text message from his high school coach.

“He told (the UK coaching staff) he was (going to Big Blue Madness) a few weeks back,” Huntington Prep coach Rob Fulford said.

UK head coach John Calipari travelled to Huntington last week to watch the 205-pound forward practice with his team mates.

Currently scheduled to not be available to college coaches until 2014, much has been made of the possibility that Wiggins will reclassify to the class of 2013, although a decision on reclassification has not yet been made.

Despite Wiggins not being present for the festivities on the eve of the college basketball season, there will still be a string of potential future UK players on hand.

2013 and 2014 commits Andrew Harrison, Aaron Harrison and Derek Willis have confirmed they will be on campus for the event.

Class of 2013 recruits Julius Randle and Marcus Lee will also be in town, along with 2014 recruits JaQuan Lyle and Cliff Alexander.