Double Down: Harrison twins choose UK

By Tom Hurley & Nick Jones | @TomHurleyKernel @Kernel_Nick

Andrew and Aaron Harrison have officially announced they will attend the University of Kentucky.

In a live broadcast on ESPNU Thursday, the twins revealed they will accept UK head coach John Calipari’s scholarship offer, ending months of speculation.

“We want to win and knew we could win as soon as we get there,” Aaron Harrison said.

The twins’ commitment solidifies the likelihood the Cats will have the top rated backcourt in the country next fall.

It will be difficult for any other team in college basketball to match the talent UK now has at the guard positions in next year’s class.

“Coach Calipari presented a challenge for us… he would push us every day. We just want to be better players,” Andrew Harrison said.

He also said that the twins “felt like rock stars” during their UK visit.

With the twins secured, Calipari can now turn his attention to padding out the rest of his roster.

A strong backcourt at the college level instantly propels UK into 2014 final four contenders, despite only having three players confirmed for the 2013-14 season.

The Harrison’s join Mt. Washington, Ky. native Derek Willis on next year’s squad.

With close connections to Maryland’s school sponsor Under Armour and family residing in the Baltimore area, it would not have been a huge surprise if the twins had elected to head to College Park.

Instead, they will soon call Lexington home, for a year at least, in news that will please Cats fans and commits alike.

Prior to Thursday’s announcement, Willis gave an insight into how he was feeling in the lead up to the Harrison twin’s decision being made public.

“Just as anxious as you are,” he said Monday.

You can read Willis’ full reaction to the Harrison’s announcement in Tuesday’s edition of the Kernel.

Related links:

Double down: Harrison twins choose UK

Harrison decision vital for Terrapins not Cats

Double Trouble: Harrison twins could be UK’s next big tandem