New iPhone apps for gamers

By Kayla Pickrell

Last year, I played out my Top 10 free game applications I use on my iPhone.

Since it’s a brand new year and my interests have changed drastically, I decided you all should know my new interests.

Last year I said my Top 10 apps were:

1. Words with Friends

2. Temple Run

3. Pocket Frogs

4. Tiny Tower

5. Talking Tom

6. Glass Pong

7. Doodle Sprint

8. Bejeweled Blitz

9. Jetpack Joyride

10. Action Movie FX

This year, everyone should download these apps:

1. Scramble With Friends Free Nothing like some healthy competition to keep your brain going in between classes. I swear my friends and I have been in an ongoing war to see who can win the most. It’s not about the length of the words, it’s more about how you use the words that counts.

2. Shazam Honestly, who doesn’t love this app? When I’m driving to and from school every day I listen to the radio, and when I hear a song I like, but don’t know the artist, I use Shazam. Not only that, but you are able to buy the song from iTunes with just a tap (for those of you who still purchase music). I know this isn’t a game, but it is worthy of putting on this list nonetheless.

3. SongPop If you haven’t played SongPop yet, you are literally crazy. You compete against your friends to see who can guess the song title or artist the fastest. The best part is you choose the genre. My dad likes to play me in the “70s Collection” genre because he knows I don’t know any of the songs, yet I can beat him any day in “Early 2000s.” What girl wasn’t obsessed with Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, N*SYNC or the Spice Girls?

4. New York Times Crossword Puzzle Yes, I know I’m a dork for putting this on here, but I love words and I love solving problems. The best thing about this app is that you can choose the difficulty. For those of you who are beginners at crosswords, easy is probably your best bet. It’s all right though because I still use the easy setting.

5. Glass Pong Last year I had this on my list, and I still think it pertains quite well. For those of you who get a little rusty on your pong game over the week and need some practice, this is the app for you.

6. Angry Birds I know this game has been out for quite a while, but sometimes I just want to shoot birds at pigs. Having a bad day? Release your anger on the pigs. I vote this game the best for venting. I have known people to become extremely angry just by playing the game (a.k.a. my seven-year-old brother).

7. Draw Something This game is getting really old quickly. The beginning was fun because they were brand new words, but I feel like I’ve drawn all the words 50,000,000 times. Yes, that many. However, it is one of the ways I keep in contact with my family since I live out-of-state.

8. Sudoku My inner-geek is really showing in this column, but Sudoku is honestly my favorite math game to play. I’ve gotten to the point where I can solve an easy Sudoku puzzle in under a minute. (I’ve timed myself.) Once you get the basic rules down, it’s more fun than a chore. Plus I feel smart solving them.

9. Sky Burger Talk about a headache. This game is pretty challenging. You are building burgers that as different burger toppings and random objects are falling out of the sky. The objective is to build the burger perfectly as you maneuver between the objects and toppings you don’t need and catching the things you do.

10. Kingdoms of Camelot Who doesn’t want to have their own castle and have an army? I do. I have always been obsessed with the storyline for Camelot, and this game allowed me to live those dreams.

You fight against other players, own your own castle, attack small camps for extra food and literally dominate the world (if you are good enough). It’s even fun to join an alliance.