Kernel Series: The state of the UK football program

The Kernel took an in-depth look at the UK football program, examining finances, facilities, recruiting, scheduling and coaching. Here are links to the entire series:

Part 1: Financial deficiency capping UK football.

The football program is the most profitably sports program at UK, but may not be receiving enough of its share of profits to grow successfully.

Part 2: Football rusty without ‘gold standard.’

Facilities are badly in need of upgrade, especially compared with other programs in the SEC. To bring UK up to speed, it will take coordinated focus from athletic director Mitch Barnhart, UK President Eli Capilouto and even the Kentucky General Assembly.

Part 3: Less spending, lack of in-state talent hurts football recruiting.

The Cats invest a little more than half as much on recruiting as the average team in SEC. The lack of D-1 talent in Kentucky, coupled with questionable lack of spending continuously leave the Cats close to the bottom of the conference in recruiting rankings.

Part 4: Just changing head coach may not be the answer. 

Many fans are clamoring for a big-name, high-profile coach to take the reigns of the program. That has happened before for UK football, however, with mixed results. Fixing the program will likely take more than just the flick of a switch of a head coaching change.

Part 4 sidebar: UK to the ACC?

The rigors of the SEC schedule is not well suiting for building a program from the bottom. A change of conference and potentially dropping the U of L series may help the program turn the corner.