66 citations issued the day of UK vs. WKU game

By Amelia Orwick

A Targeted Enforcement Detail conducted by the Kentucky Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control at the UK football game last weekend resulted in 66 citations.

Agents dressed in plainclothes cited 61 minors for possession of alcohol.

Other citations were for unlawful transaction with a minor, assisting minors in purchasing alcohol and using another’s license.

“It doesn’t really surprise me by the number of people who were over there drinking,” said UK Police Chief Joe Monroe. “I’m actually surprised the number wasn’t higher.”

TEDs often take place at large events where ABC officials believe a considerate amount of underage drinking will occur.

“The aim is to allow other law enforcement officials to focus on traffic control or crowd control,” said Nathan Jones, an ABC staff assistant.

UK Police covered the area in and around Commonwealth Stadium, while the ABC patrolled residential areas, Jones said.

The majority of underage drinking issues occurred around Cooper Drive, Monroe said.

The ABC did not have a goal for a number of citations to distribute, Jones said.

“They just deal with what they come into contact with,” Jones said. “The main thing we concern ourselves with is trying to educate minors about being careful regarding binge drinking.”

Monroe urges students to be responsible and be prepared for the aggressive stance UK Police, Student Affairs and ABC will take to cut down on underage drinking at games.

According to UK’s alcohol policy, UK prohibits using, serving or selling alcoholic beverages on university property. Exceptions include Commonwealth Stadium suites and the King Alumni House for some events.

The Lexington Herald-Leader recently reported that President Eli Capilouto said he is willing to revisit the alcohol policy as the school develops its new master plan.