Cats get Topped, 32-31: UK vs. WKU game recap

The Cats forced overtime before falling to the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers on a trick play, 32-31.

Key Players: Maxwell Smith – 37/60, 330 yards, 2 TDs, 4 INTs. Jonathan George – 13 carries, 52 yards, 2 TDs, 6 receptions, 54 yards, 1 TD.

Turning Point/Key Stretch: WKU elected to go for two and the win after scoring in overtime, converting on double-pass play to QB Kawuan Jakes.

The Good: Smith overcame an abysmal start and a bruising WKU pass rush to lead the offense on a game-tying 70-yard drive with 24 seconds left.  La’Rod King continued to make his presence known, recording 10 catches for 82 yards. Jonathan George was big filling in for an injured Co’Shik Williams, finding the end zone as both a running back and receiver. Demarcus Sweat scored the game-tying touchdown on a 22-yard catch.

The Bad: The Cats once again started slow. Both offense and defense seemed to get outmuscled by the upset-minded Hilltoppers. Smith struggled to find the groove he felt against Louisville and Kent State and forced several throws. Smith’s four interceptions were the most for a UK quarterback since Jared Lorenzen threw four against Mississippi State in 2000. Kentucky lost the turnover battle, four to two. The Hilltoppers owned time of possession, 36:31 to 23:29.

What’s Next: UK travels to The Swamp to take on the Florida Gators. The Gators defeated the Cats 48-10 in Commonwealth Stadium last season.