Women’s soccer opens SEC play after Samford loss

By Boyd Hayes

UK women’s soccer opens SEC play this weekend against Florida and Mississippi State, coming off its only misstep of the season: Sunday’s 3-1 loss to Samford.

Prior to the loss, the Cats (5-1-0) were undefeated and coming off a 2-0 win at No. 12 Louisville (5-1-0). UK had conceied only one goal in its opening five games. The NCAA women’s soccer polls show UK receiving votes for the Top 25, but the Cats are not yet ranked.

With momentum carrying the Cats, bolstered by the big win over their in-state rival Cardinals, was slowed down by the speed-bump loss to Samford. The youth has brought national attention to the Cats this season, with four goals coming from freshman, two off the foot of Cara Ledman. Kelli Hubly and Cailin Harris both picked up the first goals of their college careers in last weekend’s Cardinal Classic in Louisville.

A big part of the Cats’ scoring this season has come from set pieces, as they’ve amassed 55 total corner kicks on the season. On three of those occasions, senior Natalie Horner has scored on corners from junior Danielle Krohn. The duo’s three goals lead the team this season, all of them credited to Horner. Junior Ashley VanLandingham also has scored on two free kicks this season. Each player has credited team effort and offseason practice with creating strong set-piece scoring. Sophomore Arin Gilliland also has scored for the Cats this season, but last season’s leading scorer, Caitlin Landis, has yet to pick up a goal.

On the other side of the ball, the Cats’ starting back line of Horner, VanLandingham, Gilliland, and senior captain Alyssa Telang has been a force this season, playing fast and physical defense. Keepers Kayla Price and Kayla King also have proven themselves brick walls in the box, with King having a phenomenal showing in the Louisville win. She saved a PK and some other threats on goal to keep the Cats ahead.

UK’s first opponent this weekend is No. 22 Florida (3-2-1), whom the Cats will play at 7 p.m. Friday at the UK Soccer Complex. The Gators’ losses this season came at the hands of No. 1-ranked Florida State (6-0-0), after FSU scored in the 10th minute and held on to win 1-0, and Miami (4-2-1). The Gators are the only SEC team to have ever won a NCAA National Championship in women’s soccer, and they progressed to the second round of the tournament last season. Leading scorers for Florida this season are senior Erika Tymrak and sophomore Havana Solaun. The Gators are +1 in their goal differential for the season.

On Sunday at 1 p.m. on the same field, UK will play Mississippi State (7-0-0). The Bulldogs have seen prolific scoring this season from eight different players, totaling 19 goals. They are +16 in their goal differential this season, allowing three goals thus far.

This is the first weekend of conference play, and it should be exciting as major teams clash for position at the top of their respective divisions.

UK was projected in a preseason NCAA Coaches Poll to finish fourth in the SEC East. Head coach Jon Lipsitz has continually stated that he, his staff and his team do not pay attention to season predictions and long-term planning, instead opting for everyday excellence.