Headley-Whitney Museum celebrates local artists

By David Fowler

The Headley-Whitney Museum has collaborated with local museums, galleries and theaters to create a program focused on local art, the Art After Hours program.

The creators of the program, Shayna Shia, educator/graphic designer for the museum, and Rasheedah El-Amin, cultural arts coordinator at the Lyric Theater, developed it to bring art lovers together to celebrate local artists.

“I think it is imperative to support local artists,” Shia said. “We created Art After Hours not only to help bring awareness to local art organizations but also the artists’ works that they are showing. There are so many talented artists in this area.”

The program is specifically designed to bring awareness to art organizations around Lexington, and to bring in younger audiences.

“We decided to create a fun an engaging atmosphere to attract college students and young professionals,” Shia said. “We hoped that if these participants had a great experience they would return to the organizations to volunteer, intern or enjoy new exhibits.”

Previous events include a scavenger hunt through a laquerware exhibit at the Headley Whitney Museum, a drum circle at the Lyric Theater and Cultural Arts Center, object handling demonstrations at the International Museum of the Horse and sculpting at the Tuska House in partnership with Kentucky Mudworks.

The next series of Art After Hours kicks off at the Living Arts and Science Center on Sept. 19, followed by Sisohpromatem Art Foundation on Oct. 17 and the UK Art Museum on Nov. 14.

The Headley-Whitney museum is a decorative arts museum, nestled in the heart of the Bluegrass on Old Frankfort Pike. The museum was founded by George W. Headley, a jewelry designer who decided to return to his family farm in Kentucky, ‘La Belle,’ after several successful years designing jewelry for celebrity clientele on the west coast during the mid 1900s.

Headley opened the Jewel Room and Library building in 1968, and later added the Shell Grotto and main building to complete the museum complex on his scenic family farm.

In addition to these permanent collections, the museum has distinctive rotating exhibits. They are currently showcasing miniature paintings by local artist, Robert Floyd, Chinese scrolls and an additional gem and jewelry exhibit. A collection of dollhouses from Marylou Whitney’s estate, in Lexington, is also on permanent display.

The museum also regularly holds adult jewelry workshops and summer children’s workshops.

Visit www.headley-whitney.org for more information.