VHS or Beta deliver upbeat set at Buster’s

By Nini Edwards

VHS or Beta took to the stage like rock stars at Busters Saturday night promoting their album Diamonds or Dub.

Playing a tremendous upbeat set, it is not hard to dance when VHS or Beta plays. An excellent live show with past and previous singles made the small crowd that showed up for the show start moving.

“We are going to play like there are 12,000 people in here tonight,” lead singer Craig Pfunder said.

The band did just that. Pfunder’s spunky attitude (and amazing hair) combined with the band’s high energy created music that simply made everybody want to dance.

Pfunder kept his eyes closed as he passionately sang into the microphone. When he had a chance to step away from the mic his attention quickly moved to his electric guitar. Paying zero attention to the guitar cord, it weaved between Pfunder’s feet as he danced the night away.

Radiating energy, drummer Mark Guildry looked like he was promoting a Budweiser commercial as he turned up the sweating beer bottle between songs to help cool himself down. Guildry used his t-shirt to wipe the beads of sweat off of his forehead and defog his glasses.

The band was once afraid their new electronic sound would negatively affect their live performances. This did not seem to be the case during Saturday’s show. The band stayed true to their original instrumentals: guitar, drums and keyboard playing over techno, making a mix between disco, rock and house music.

Pfunder took advantage of the small crowd creating a personal environment. He talked with fans during the show and teased Lexingtonians with his Louisville pride.

Despite the dwindling audience VHS or Beta flawlessly executed an amazing show. If this band decides to return to Lexington it is worth seeing in the future.