‘Thoroughly Modern Millie’ keeps audience laughing

By Kayla Pickrell

The performance of “Thoroughly Modern Millie” was met with a packed house on opening weekend.

“Millie” is a musical about a small town girl trying to make it big in New York City in the early 1920s.

The play tackles the subjects of love versus money and human trafficking.

“It was thrilling to be part of the nearly sold-out house in the Guignol Theatre for the opening night,” Nancy Jones, chairman for the department of theater, said.

The live orchestra, which brought a feel of Broadway into the musical, sat in front of the stage.

The plot of the musical was seemingly simple throughout the performance, until the end.

At the end, the actors’ roles were revealed.

“Everything connects in the end,” Abby Sheridan, who played Millie Dillmount, said.

Minus the stumble at the beginning of the musical with lines by William James Bradley playing Jimmy Smith in Saturday’s performance, the musical was played with absolute perfection.

“Our students did a fantastic job; The voices are wonderful, the choreography and dance numbers are pitch perfect, and the orchestra brings incredible energy to the production,” Jones said.

One of the greatest performers of the night was Madison McGhee, playing Mrs. Meers.

She kept the crowd laughing with her witty dialogue and was a wonderfully deviant character.

When the plot was heading more on the romantic side, she was able to keep the audience laughing by turning the tables.

Those playing Ching Ho and Bun Foo, Chris Floyd and Evan Jennings Pulliam, put on a wonderful performance.

Minus one or two lines, their entire performance was in Chinese, making fun of other characters or in Bun Foo’s case, falling in love.

“The audience was on their feet opening night honoring our incredible cast and crew with standing ovations,” Jones said.