Student Government sponsors pre-finals Cram Jam

By Darius Owens and Kevin Ortiz

Dead week is upon students, and that means cramming for finals, finishing up term papers and turning in last minute assignments.

However, the UK community will have a chance to unwind at Cram Jam Thursday night at Memorial Coliseum.

Student Government officials want to give students a chance to relax, kick their feet up and temporarily take their minds off of school work with the second Cram Jam.

The goal of Cram Jam is to accomplish what the Student Activities Board’s Crunch Brunch does every fall. Although in its second year, SG hopes Cram Jam can become a dead week staple, making students’ lives a little easier.

“Students should go to Cram Jam because it’s the perfect opportunity to take their minds off tests, papers and projects and have fun,” said Kyle Snapp, the SG deputy chief of communications. “They will be able to spend time with a diverse array of students who are all there to get away from the stresses of the classroom.”

This year will feature a “carnival” theme, with snacks such as corn dogs, nachos and cotton candy. Other events will include cornhole, pickup basketball games, a massage table, music and tours of the Joe Craft Center.

Free food and drinks will be offered, and the first 1,500 students will get a free T-shirt.

“I love the diverse population of UK students that come out to Cram Jam,” said Stephen Bilas, SG president-elect and current chief of staff.

Bilas said the event is good to relax and take a break from studying.

“Our goal is to provide a relaxing event during a traditionally stressful time for students,” he said.

In addition to events, there will also be several new additions for this year incorporating the theme, including carnival games, the snack shack and a safety-dog petting station.

UK Athletics will also provide a 64-foot inflatable obstacle course.

“Cram Jam is special because it’s a time for students to hang out with friends they haven’t seen for a while,” said Tamika Tompoulidis, director of student organizations for Student Government. “During the craziness of finals week, we often forget to say goodbye to all our friends and Cram Jam is a great opportunity for this.”

“It’s going to be a smörgåsbord of fun and relaxation,” said Clay Lampl, Student Government’s deputy chief of staff for campus issues.