Bringing down the block

By Justin Sharp

The Student Activity Board will be hosting The Big Finish, a block party open to the public.

The party will be on South Limestone between the Avenue of Champions and Maxwell Street from 6 to 10 p.m. Friday.

The block party will have activities for all ages, including slides, bounce houses, live music, mechanical bull and some sporting activities. There will also be face painting and henna tattoo artists.

The SAB is hoping for many students to come out to the event, but they hope that residents of Lexington come out too.

“We have opened this event to everyone in the Lexington community to come and enjoy a safe and fun night with their family and friends,” said Riana English, a marketing and business management senior.

Even though the block party is celebrating seniors, the SAB wants everyone to join them and the Big Finish celebration.

“We want seniors to remember their hard work pays off, and how much they have contributed to the university,” English said.

Different vendors from around campus will have tents set up with food for purchase.

SAB has also brought in some vendors to sell food for a small fee, but all activities are free, and guests can enjoy them as much as they want.

“I didn’t even know that this was going to happen, it will be a great way to have some fun right before dead week and finals,” Rachel Sims, a communication disorders sophomore, said.

The SAB has been planning for the event since last semester, but most of the logistics came together only a few months ago by two SAB committees.

“Our two committees and wonderful advisors came together and we all made this possible,” English said.

This is the first year of the Big Finish and everyone involved are very excited to see how it will come together.

Even though there are bars present on the street, SAB wants to let everyone know that it will be a dry event.

“We know there are bars present on the stretch of the street, but we just want everyone to be safe and have fun, but we are still a dry campus therefore these rules will extend to our block party,” English said.