US Senate passes resolution congratulating basketball team

A resolution was passed Wednesday that commends the UK men’s basketball team’s NCAA national championship victory.

Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell and Sen. Rand Paul introduced S. Res. 422, according to a news release.

The resolution congratulates the team for winning, and mentions individual players.

“Each player, coach, athletic trainer and staff member of the University of Kentucky basketball team dedicated their season and their tireless efforts to their successful season of the team and the NCAA championship,” according to the resolution.

The resolution in full:

RESOLUTION

Commending and congratulating the University of Kentucky men’s basketball team for winning its eighth Division I National Collegiate Athletic Association championship.

Whereas, on April 2, 2012, the University of Kentucky Wildcats defeated the University of Kansas Jayhawks, 67 to 59, in the final game of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (referred to in this preamble as “NCAA”) Division I Men’s Basketball Tournament in New Orleans, Louisiana;

Whereas the Kentucky Wildcats have won 8 national titles, the second most in NCAA Division I men’s basketball history;

Whereas the Kentucky Wildcats are the only men’s Division I college basketball program to have won NCAA National Championships under 5 different coaches;

Whereas freshman center Anthony Davis was –

(1) the recipient of the John R. Wooden Award, the Naismith Trophy and the Adolph Rupp Award, all for national player of the year;

(2) named the United States Basketball Writers Association player of the year, Associated Press player of the year, and Basketball Times player of the year;

(3) selected to the Associated Press All-America first team and was selected as the Most Outstanding Player of the NCAA Final Four tournament;

Whereas forward Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, guard Doron Lamb and center Anthony Davis were selected as members of the NCAA Final Four All-Tournament team;

Whereas senior guard Darius Miller of Maysville, Kentucky set a school record for career games played with the Kentucky Wildcats men’s basketball team at 152;

Whereas each player, coach, athletic trainer, and staff member of the University of Kentucky basketball team dedicated their season and their tireless efforts to their successful season of the team and the NCAA championship;

Whereas residents of the Commonwealth of Kentucky and Wildcat fans worldwide are to commended for their long-standing support, perseverance, and pride in this team; and

Whereas Coach John Calipari and the University Kentucky Wildcats have brought pride and honor to the Commonwealth of Kentucky, which is rightly known as the college basketball capital of the world: Now, therefore, be it

Resolved, That the Senate—

(1) commends and congratulates the University of Kentucky Wildcats on its outstanding accomplishment; and

(2) respectfully requests that the Secretary of the Senate transmit a copy of this resolution to the president of the University of Kentucky.