Advisers plan CATS Day of Service

By Gary Hermann

The UK Advising Network will participate in this year’s CATS Day of Service on May 11 at the Kentucky Horse Park.

The advisers are not available the day of UK Fusion due to advising and this event gives them the opportunity to spend a day dedicated to service that fits their schedule.

Susan Skees, chair of UK Advising Network, is looking forward to “spending the day with all my colleagues without having to do a meeting or share information.”

The CATS Day of Service began two years ago, Skees said.

“We wanted to emulate Fusion. The first year we had multiple locations, but the transportation was a little challenging.” she said. “The next year we decided to do one location.”

This year’s location, the Kentucky Horse Park, relies on the work of volunteers like the one UK is sending.

“It is a supplement to the state funding they receive, which is not enough to keep them in operation,” Christy Freadreacea, co-chair of the events committee said.

The advisers fit this event in after the last day of classes and the beginning of Summer Advising.

“It is a great opportunity for all of us to get together and enjoy each other’s company and do something good at the same time,” Skees said.

Ryan Sallee, co-public relations coordinator, said he finds many aspects of the CATS Day of Service rewarding, including the connection he feels to the organizations afterwards.

“The service in general, that’s always been the most rewarding part of this event for me,” Sallee said. “At the end of the day, knowing how much I gave back and having the opportunity to do that.”

Freadreacea said the Kentucky Horse Park draws people from all over the world to Lexington. She said she enjoys, “having the opportunity to help the community shine, and feeling like you are a small part of a big event.”

Freadreacea said generally about 60 people from the UK Advising Network participate in the CATS Day of Service.

“We are all in it together,” Sallee said. “But in terms of giving back to the community like they mentioned, it’s one of the missions of any flagship university so we are doing our part to make sure we are meeting that part of our mission.”