Varied talents come to perform at Apollo competition

By Ashley Hancox

On Saturday, UK’s Black Student Union presented their long-awaited Apollo competition at the Singletary Center.

BSU waited longer this year to announce the date of the event knowing it would leave the audience in suspense.

Comedian Larry Sparks hosted the Apollo.

As students packed into the Singletary Center, contestants waited backstage patiently for their time.

“I am always nervous before a performance, but more anxious,” Ashley Johnson, a communications senior, said. “I know I am going to put on a good show.”

All 11 contestants were tense behind stage, with the thought of the “sandman” coming to brush them off of stage at any time.

“I had a lot of fun at the Apollo, especially watching the performances and the sandman,” Kierra Crawford, a human nutrition freshman, said.

Talents came from afar to perform in the Apollo; students from University of Louisville, Northern Kentucky University and even as far as Tennessee came to showcase their abilities.

The talents consisted of one comedian, two rappers, two poets and six singers.

While performers were on stage, BSU gave attendees the chance to interact with the host and performers.

There was a huge overhead screen with an interactive Twitter page where students could tweet performers or even the host.

“We wanted to give the audience a chance to feel more involved than just booing contestants,” Amber Bibbs, BSU vice president, said. “We wanted a unique way to do it. Why not use T­witter? One of the most popular social networks.”

While students tweeted throughout the show they were asked to add #worththewait to every tweet.

“We wanted to make this year’s show bigger and better for everyone, we wanted it to be worth the wait,” Bibbs said.