Week to educate campus on how to use social media wisely

By Emery Mason Campbell

Students, faculty and staff can learn more about social media next week, where events will be held each day about the media.

Student Government is facilitating Social Media Week April 9-13, collaborating with different groups, including the president’s office, Office of Student Involvement and the VIP Center.

Events will be held each day, along with a photography contest, that will help students, faculty and staff use social media to their advantage.

“We want to see a more conscious use of social media so students, faculty and staff can get as much use out of their social media platforms as there is to offer,” said Kyle Snapp, SG deputy of chief communications.

Beginning on Monday there will be several events that discuss how students can make a strong personal online brand and how to avoid personal and societal risks.

Tuesday consists of a Skype presentation with Foursquare co-creator Dennis Crowley and Josh Newman of Mediatavern.

They will discuss how they help their clients build stronger brands, according to an announcement on the College of Communications and Information Studies website.

Students will have the opportunity Tuesday to learn how to use social networks for them and not against them, since employers use social media more and more to screen potential candidates.

Wednesday includes an open and candid discussion with President Eli Capilouto about how social media and technology have an effect on the professional world.

Integrated strategic communications professors will discuss on Thursday how social media is being used in branding, including information from the recent Word of

Mouth Marketing Association national meeting.

“Social media is not just for entertainment, but can help with research, future employment, finding a home in a new area and even networking,” TallyCats Coordinator Katelyn Banks said.

“Ultimate Follow Friday” consists of every department that collaborated with the SG in hosting Social Media Week, tweeting relevant information out about their department and what they are doing.

“SG and their other collaborators hope that all these events will increase social media use throughout campus for students, faculty and staff,” Snapp said.

“We want these events to be not just for students, but for faculty and staff as well,” Banks said. “We want the faculty and staff to feel comfortable coming and participating in these events.”

For more a full list of events, click here. You can also find information on the following websites:

Facebook: facebook.com/UKSocialMediaWeek

Twitter: @UKSocialMediaWk

#UKSocialMedia