Keeneland opens Friday with College Scholarship Day

By Natasha Records

Students can go to Keeneland on Friday to enjoy a day specifically designed for college students.

College Scholarship Day at Keeneland gives students the opportunity to walk away with scholarships.

“College Day is a great opportunity,” said Sarah Deye, a marketing intern for Keeneland. “With so many great prizes this year, their chances of winning are great.”

Deye said students just have to sign up in the North Terrace of Keeneland, where every race there will be a drawing for about three prizes and one scholarship.

“There is no reason not to sign up, even if they come late,” she said.

College Scholarship Day at Keeneland happens twice a year, once in the spring and once in the fall, according to a news release.

Students receive free general admission with a college ID and have the chance of winning scholarships awarded by Keeneland and the Kentucky Thoroughbred Association, the news release said.

The North Terrace will become the College Zone with multiple activities.

There will be 10 $1,000 scholarships given out at each race, totaling $10,000.

The band Sundy Best will also perform at 11 a.m.

A new event added this year is the Greek Attendance Challenge.

“The sorority and fraternity with the highest percentage attendance at College Day wins free rental of the Thoroughbred Center for a date party,” Deye said. “All

they have to do is write down their organization when they register for the prizes.”

Prizes from sponsors will be given out from: Campus Quilts, the Keeneland Gift Shop, Orange Leaf, Jamba Juice, Raising Cane’s, Kennedy Book Store, Vineyard Vines,

Pazzo’s, Tin Roof, Fusion Tanning, Bluetique, Calypso, Sleep Outfitters, Urban Active, BarreAmped, Common Grounds and Victoria’s Secret.

Qdoba and Coca-Cola will provide free snacks, and the first 1,000 students to enter receive a free t-shirt.

Anna Harris, a College Day ambassador, said the event is a blast because of free admission, food and prizes.

She said College Day is a great way for students to come together and celebrate the opening of Keeneland’s season with all of their friends.

“It’s a really great opportunity for UK students to see Keeneland and what Lexington has to offer,” said Hannah Simms, a College Day ambassador.