ROTC incorporates college

By Sarah Hildreth

The annual ROTC Run takes place Wednesday morning from 6:30 a.m. to 8 a.m. beginning at Barker Hall.

For the last four years, participants have shown their support, but the College of Arts & Sciences also helps the cause.

The College of Arts & Sciences is the largest college on campus and is therefore able to help provide financial backing for the event.

The Army ROTC and Air Force ROTC programs, which used to be free standing, have more recently been absorbed by the college.

“We couldn’t ask for a more supportive environment,” Lt. Col. Jason Cummins said.

The ROTC programs are not one of the traditional arts and sciences departments, but Dean Mark Kornbluh, who will be participating in the

run, has gone out of his way to ensure they are a part of the arts and sciences family.

“The ROTC cadets are extremely appreciative and aware of the College’s support,” Cummins said.

Moreover, the relationship has resulted in tangible improvements to the armory and the overall cadet experience at UK.

Brian Connors Manke, assistant director of communications and creative content, said, “Dean Kornbluh enjoys running, but more importantly appreciates the work the cadets put in as well as recognizes the strengths they bring to the college.”

Cummins said he anticipates a variety of faculty, staff and students from various academic departments to participate in the run.