Classes won’t be canceled for basketball games, celebrations

UK President Eli Capilouto

UK President Eli Capilouto said all UK classes will proceed as usual this week and next, regardless of the men’s basketball team making the Final Four and potentially the NCAA Tournament National Championship game if it beats Louisville this weekend.

He said any decisions to cancel class or dealing with absences will be made strictly between students and professors.

Capilouto added that “the safety and well-being of our students and our community” are most important.

Read the full email below:

This is a special time in the history of the University of Kentucky and UK Athletics; a time for all of us to celebrate.  While reaching the Final Four and potentially winning the NCAA men’s basketball championship is an enormous achievement, the university also must be cognizant of its academic responsibilities.

To that end, all classes will proceed as usual — daytime and evening classes will be held as usual this week and next, including Monday, the night of the NCAA Finals.  Any absences or requests for excused absences are a matter strictly between the student and his or her professor.

As Saturday’s Final Four game with Louisville approaches and the possibility of playing in the national championship game on Monday, I urge students to enjoy this special time in a responsible and positive way. Nothing is more important than the safety and well-being of our students and our community. This is a unique opportunity to show the nation that UK is a champion on and off the court.

UK’s Final Four game against Louisville is Saturday. Tip-off is scheduled for 6:09 p.m. The winner will advance to the national championship game Monday against the winner of the Ohio State-Kansas game.

.