KEG: Pastels, color blocks are hot this spring

By Rachel Aretakis

The color palette for spring and summer fashion is heating up along with the temperature, as trends and popular styles begin to reach campus.

Students can turn their wardrobe up a notch by adding bright colors or pretty pastels to any outfit, creating a trendy look that is comfortable.

Everything from colored denim and color blocking to tribal prints and pastels is in style.

Paige Patterson, a merchandising, apparel and textiles senior, said colored denim is going to be huge this spring and summer.

Jeans can be found in almost any color — neons, pastels, and hues such as teal, yellow, purple and mint green.

Meredith Gross, a merchandising, apparel and textiles sophomore, agreed and said it is one of her favorite trends.

“I really like the coral and orange colors,” Gross said. “I just bought coral jeans and I’m excited to wear them.”

Both Gross and Patterson think this trend of brightly colored jeans will be one that translates easily to campus.

“The colored denim — that’s cute still — but comfortable, rather than just a regular pair of denim,” Patterson said. “I think that they are a more trendy look that is comfortable.”

Patterson said the style can quickly dress up a white T-shirt.

As the weather gets warmer and Keeneland season approaches, Gross said women will be wearing color block dresses to the races.

According to Glamour Magazine, the solid-color pieces “make simple dressing look glam.”

But avoid more than three colors when putting a color block outfit together, the magazine advised.

For those who don’t want to make quite as bold a statement through color block, tribal or Aztec print dresses, pastel is also in style.

Gross said women will be wearing pastel-colored dresses at Keeneland, and pastels are indicative of “what the new spring and summer thing is going to be.”

According to Vogue, accessories in pastel colors will be worn a lot this season.

“The neon colors that we saw all over the runways and streets last year have mellowed out. This spring, brighter turns lighter in a pale, fresh and feminine palette,” according to Vogue’s Guide online.

But Patterson said she thinks neon will still be a big color for Keeneland this year, too.

“Even though it’s earlier in the season, I think there are going to be brighter dresses,” Patterson said. “I think people are going to push the limits with what they normally wear.”