Rally for regulations against ‘big coal, oil’

As a senior environmental science student at UK, I recognize the impact my school and my community are having on the global climate. Despite incessant pleas from a significant portion of the student body, the university and the community insist on contributing further to global climate change without any substantial discussion about moving toward cleaner, renewable options.

Carbon pollution from coal plants is one of the leading contributors to global climate change, as it is leading to the creation of a thicker blanket around the planet’s atmosphere. This allows more heat to remain within the Earth’s atmosphere, causing global temperatures to rise.

As a result of these rising temperatures, the entire planet is changing dramatically. Rising sea levels and more extreme weather will likely impact developing countries located on the coast and will lead to millions of deaths worldwide.

I would like to support Lisa Jackson and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency as they plan to establish new regulations regarding carbon pollution from coal plants.

The new standards are referred to as New Source Performance Standards. These air quality protections will allow the EPA to focus on the industries that create the lion’s share of the nation’s carbon pollution and will also help reduce life-threatening air pollutants like dirty soot, asthma-inducing smog and toxic mercury.

Global climate change is real. And it has been proven time and time again by peer-reviewed scientific research to be directly influenced by human activity. As a young person, I am tired of big coal and big oil lobbyists influencing policy decisions that prolong the life of these extractive industries.

These decisions are a direct result of greed and selfishness, and are remarkably shortsighted. Garnering public support for the New Source Performance Standards protections is extremely important as we continue to show the power of the people.

The EPA should be commended for their recent Mercury and Air Toxic Standards, as this will save thousands of people from dying from mercury-related illnesses each year. However, the most important battle for my generation and for the future of this planet is the fight to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

We need to stand up to the big coal and big oil lobbyists and tell them that we are tired of their continued greed and exploitation. Support Jackson and the EPA as they embark on this crucial endeavor.