SG takes students, will rally in Frankfort for higher education

By Elizabeth Suh

UK students may face higher tuition if Gov. Steve Beshear’s state budget, which proposes a 6.4 percent funding cut for higher education, is approved.

UK’s Student Government representatives and students will join other universities across Kentucky Tuesday, in the Rally for Higher Education in Frankfort.

The rally is organized by the Board of Student Body Presidents, which represents the eight public universities in Kentucky.

State legislators and student body presidents will speak at the rally to raise awareness of the impact of higher education cuts.

“Essentially, it’s showing that students who go to public higher education institutions care and that collegians are also voters,” SG Vice President Nikki Hurt said. “It’s for legislators to see that this is something that is important to us.”

UK students will meet Tuesday in front of Patterson Office Tower at 10:45 a.m. and take two buses to the state capital to participate in the rally.

Student participants will receive T-shirts for the rally, boxed lunches and letters asking teachers to consider allowing them to be excused. They plan to return to campus by 2 p.m.

“The rally goes on every year, but this year we’re taking it more seriously, trying to get more attention from students and media, and how this is going to impact students,” said Micah Fielden, student body president and chairman of board. “Since the state budget is about $9.8 billion, we’re asking legislators to look at this proposal and asking for a little more of the budget for Kentucky’s education.”

UK alumnus and state Rep. Ryan Quarles, who is on the House Education Committee, will be one of the speakers, Hurt said.

Fielden said he knows many students will not be able to attend, but they can still sign the online petition at uksga.org.

“It can harness the voice of all the students who couldn’t make it on Tuesday,” Fielden said.

If you go:

What: Higher Education Rally

When: Tuesday, Feb. 7

Where: Frankfort, Ky.

More Info: Meet at POT at 10:45 a.m. Buses will return to campus around 2 p.m.