UK Hoops to host Ole Miss

UK Hoops plays hosts to the Ole Miss Rebels Thursday night in a matchup that will be critical to the Cats’ SEC regular-season title hopes.

Although the Rebels have had a down season (12-10, 2-7 SEC), the game will still be vital because there has yet to be any separation at the top of the SEC rankings.

The Cats are alone at the top of the SEC, with their program-best start of 9-0. Lurking in second-place, however, are the Tennessee Volunteers, who have just one loss. The 7-1 Volunteers’ only conference loss was in Lexington to the Cats, with a return date in Knoxville set for February 13.

“I just don’t think you can lose very many games and think about being the champion,” UK head coach Matthew Mitchell said. “It’s shaping up to be that kind of year. It’s going to always be hard to win the SEC title.”

Mitchell believes the hard work involved will make ultimately winning the title that much more meaningful.

“It’s just going to be hard – and it should be. Historically, it’s the greatest league in women’s college basketball, ever. It should be something you have to earn,” Mitchell said. “I’m excited about that aspect.”

With the race this close, the importance of every remaining game on the schedule increases.

“I am not expecting Tennessee to lose a bunch of games. Every single game becomes very, very important,” Mitchell said. “So actually, in a way, it helps you focus.”

The Cats seemingly lost focus Sunday at home against Alabama, allowing the Tide to make a second-half run and close the Cats’ lead to 11 three different times.

“For whatever reason, long season, loss of focus, whatever it was, it didn’t look too good,” Mitchell said. “We showed that to them and I would expect a better defensive performance Thursday night.”

Mitchell’s team will turn their attention to the Ole Miss Rebels Thursday at 7 p.m. at Memorial Coliseum. It will be the last home game for the Cats until Feb. 20.

“We have another tough opponent coming into Memorial,” Mitchell said. “We’re happy to have a chance to play at home and Ole Miss has a good team and we’ll have to be ready to earn a victory.

“We’re looking for a good practice today and excited to have another chance to play.”