Event to teach common American misperceptions of Islam

From its establishment at UK in 1971, the Muslim Student Association has aimed to make Islamic teachings known, promote unity and joint action among Muslims and non-Muslim students, and conduct social, cultural, religious and other activities in the best traditions of Islam.

This semester the Muslim Student Association has decided to make an active effort in disbanding some of the misconceptions that are still perceived by many Americans.

Though over 10 years have elapsed since the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center in 2001, not much has changed in America’s perception of Islam.

In fact, one of the largest misconceptions about Islam is that it is spread by violence. However, in Indonesia, the largest Muslim country by population, Islam was spread through the interactions between the indigenous peoples with Muslim traders and merchants. This is one of the many misconceptions that exist in Western society.

The Muslim Student Association is holding an event in hopes to clear up some of these misunderstandings.

On Thursday, Jan. 26, in the Grand Ballroom of the Student Center, speeches will be given by former Lexington mayor Teresa Isaac, and nationally recognized Islamic speaker, Brother Abdel Rahman Murphy.

Brother Abdel Rahman Murphy is a graduate of the University of Illinois at Chicago with a degree in teaching of English and religious studies, and is currently pursuing his master’s in counseling and family therapy. His Islamic studies background includes completing an Imam Certificate Program, designed for young leaders from America and the UK in Makkah, Saudi Arabia, under the mentorship and training of qualified scholarship, as well as some time in Egypt.

He has also completed some courses, in the classroom as well as individually, with scholarship in the U.S., studying traditional texts along with contemporary issues. It is with great privilege that the Muslim Students Association announces that

Brother Murphy will be speaking at its upcoming event.

Dinner will also be served followed by a Q&A session with Brother Murphy. This event is open to both students and the public, completely free of charge.

The Muslim Student Association would sincerely appreciate your attendance, as it will be a beneficial experience in educating oneself about Islam and the truth behind the misconceptions.