Monday’s weekly rankings/awards/SEC teleconference notes:
- UK stayed at No. 2 in both major polls behind unbeaten Syracuse, and for the second straight week received 5 of 65 first-place votes in the AP poll and 1 of 31 first-place votes in the coaches’ poll.
- UK was shut out of the SEC Player and Freshman of the Week awards.
- On the SEC teleconference, head coach John Calipari discussed hitting the road. Last season, UK lost 6 of 8 SEC road games. This year, UK is 0-1 in true road games, but that loss to Indiana could help prep the Cats for what type of environment they will encounter. “The good news is, playing Indiana gives them an idea of what all the [SEC] games will be like,” Calipari said.
- Calipari also pointed to road losses by Mississippi State and Florida, both ranked teams at the time, in their first SEC games. “Nothing in this league should surprise you,” Calipari said.
- As for what he learned last year about the road struggles, Calipari said, “The execution of last year’s team probably cost us more than anything else. We just weren’t ready.” He said this year, UK could be better prepared for the road because “this year’s team is a little farther advanced, because I had a better idea of how this team would have to play.”
- Marquis Teague is playing 30.9 minutes per game, tied for the team lead. “I’m probably playing him too many minutes, out of necessity,” coach John Calipari said. “But I need him on the floor to learn, yet not where he’s exhausted.”
- Calipari has started writing how many days remain until the end of the season on a locker room board as a reminder to improve every day. “This stuff goes so fast that before we turn around, it’s going to be March,” Calipari said. “Then it will be April. Still playing, hopefully.”
- Of the six players on the team averaging 10 or more points, Anthony Davis has taken the least amount of shots, averaging 7.75 per game. “He’s not worried about it offensively,” coach John Calipari said. “He’s getting what he needs, to help his team win.” Doron Lamb leads the team with 9.63 shots per game.
or email him at email@example.com.