‘Breakfast Club’ started by Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist drives to the basket against Portland at Rupp Arena on Saturday, Nov. 26, 2011. Photo by Scott Hannigan

Who else could it be?

Who else would be the guy on the team who started working out in the mornings on his own, leading head coach John Calipari to push for the whole team to join, other than Michael Kidd-Gilchrist?

The one thing everyone buzzed/buzzes about Kidd-Gilchrist wasn’t/isn’t his talent (although he has considerable amounts of that), but his work ethic. That’s already catching on at UK.

Calipari talked Monday about “four or five” players starting a ‘breakfast club,’ where they worked out in the morning together and then ate breakfast together.

“Coach Cal just mentioned it, how Michael Jordan did it (with the Bulls),” Marquis Teague said. “And said it was something we should take into consideration.”

Teague said the first group was Kidd-Gilchrist, Anthony Davis, Terrence Jones and Kyle Wiltjer.

Calipari is always one the push working hard. He’s been consistent in pointing out the increased time Doron Lamb has spent in the gym, and even more consistently points out the improved results.

“Let me just tell you, the extra time that he’s spending on that basketball court before practice, after practice, you’re all seeing the benefit of it,” Calipari said. “The guys that are going in stretching and lifting and doing things before breakfast, that is another group of guys. You’ll see them start to get better.”

Lamb and Teague both said they were planning on joining the group soon. Lamb said he didn’t know about it until Tuesday.

“I didn’t get a text,” Lamb said. “Nobody hit me up.”

Now that the word’s out, the ‘breakfast club’ might be rolling with more than the four or five guys in the first group.

“Hopefully the whole team will get in on that,” Darius Miller said.

or email him at [email protected]