Twany Beckham won’t be backup point guard

After sitting out a year because of transfer rules, Twany Beckham is ready to finally play.

“I’m ready to go, man,” Beckham said. “Been a long time coming.”

But if he does see the court, it won’t be as backup point guard, which is where some expected him to help the Cats.

“He doesn’t understand that position the way we need it played,” head coach John Calipari said. “I’ll be honest, Jarrod (Polson), understanding how we play, what we do, is probably ahead of Twany.”

Beckham averaged 1.6 points in 8.4 minutes his freshman year and 2.9 points in 15.7 minutes his sophomore year at Mississippi State, so he won’t be an impact player on the offensive end.

Instead, Calipari wants the 6-foot-5 Beckham to be a solid defensive player when he is on the court.

“He’s a good athlete, he’s got good size,” Calipari said. “Get out there and defend and make easy plays so you can stay on the floor.”

Has he earned playing time based on his practice performances?

“I think I have, but with Coach Cal, you never know,” Beckham said. “But I come out every day and practice as hard as I can.”

If nothing else, Beckham can provide experience. He’s played two seasons at an SEC school, which means he’s the most experienced eligible player UK has besides Darius Miller and Eloy Vargas.

“I feel my experience will be key to this team,” Beckham said. “But tomorrow’s the first day I’m on the court with this team. It’s going to be a slow process, but once I get my feet wet and get it going, I’m going to be able to help this team.”

or email him at [email protected]