UK Hoops beats Louisville 74-54

UK Freshman guard Bria Goss plays defense against Louisville Shoni Schimmel during the first half of UK Hoop’s home game against Louisville at Memorial Coliseum in Lexington, Ky., Dec. 4, 2011. Photo by Brandon Goodwin

The UK Hoops teams used different ingredients than usual, but they still concocted another lopsided victory in front of almost 8,000 fans at a sold-out Memorial Coliseum Sunday afternoon.

The No. 11 Cats (8-0) turned advantages in rebounding, second-chance points, and 3-point shooting into a 74-54 victory over the No. 10 Louisville Cardinals.

The Cats came in to the game leading the NCAA in turnover margin, but coughed up the ball themselves the same number of times as UL (26), leading to just a one-point advantage in points off turnovers (26-25).

“I thought we needed to turn them over, but we shot the ball great today,” said UK head coach Matthew Mitchell. “I am proud of the players and proud we got the victory.”

UK made up for the lack of turnovers, however, by outrebounding the Cards 34-25 for the game.

“We’ve really tried to focus on becoming a great offensive rebounding team,” said Mitchell. “We have the athletes to do it, we just have to focus and work really hard.”

UK Hoops: Louisville – Images by Kentucky Kernel

“You can’t win big games if you’re not going to rebound the basketball.That’s a mentality,” said Louisville head coach Jeff Walz. “You’ve got to have a little fight in you to go in and rebound the ball.”

The Cats converted the rebounding advantage to points, outscoring the Cards in second chance points 24-10.

“Some of those offensive boards and put-backs were awfully big for us when Louisville was making us struggle to score,” said Mitchell.

The Cats held U of L to 5-19 shooting behind the arc.

“They are a really good team and the shots fell for us today,” Mitchell said. “They got more open shots than I would have preferred, I can tell you that.”

UK was more efficient from 3-point land, connecting on 10 of 19, for a 15-point advantage in the game.

A key run for the Cats started with 13:14 left in the first half, when U of L guard Becky Burke hit a 3-point basket to give the Cards a 10-9 lead.

The Cats then held the Cards without a field goal for over six minutes, as they went on a 15-3 run to claim a 25-12 advantage. The UK run was fueled by two made 3-point baskets and three second-chance goals. The Cats never trailed again.

The Cards went in to the locker room at halftime down 40-23.  Every time the Cards pulled close in the second half, the Cats had an answer.

Louisville drew within 14 points, 56-42,  midway through the second half and had a open look from behind the arc by guard Shone Schimmel rim out.

Within the next minute of action, the Cats drilled two 3-pointers, one each by Amber Smith and Kastine Evans, to stretch the lead right back out to 20 points.  The Cards were never able to get closer than 17 the rest of the way.

Junior guard A’dia Mathies led the Cats with 20 points, hitting 4 of 7 from behind the arc and 8 of 11 from the free throw line.

“She (Mathies) was tremendously focused and prepared,” said Mitchell.  “She played a beautiful game.”

Several of Mathies’ looks behind the arc were wide open.

“They played me for the drive, because I am more of a driver than a shooter,” said Mathies. “But if you leave me open, I’m going to take the shot. They fell tonight.”

Next up the Cats in another “Pack the House” game – this time at Rupp Arena – Thursday at 6 p.m. against the No. Duke Blue Devils (6-1).

“We don’t have a lot of time to stop and smell the roses about this one,” said Mitchell. “We have to get ready to get back to work tomorrow and prepare for a tough opponent in Duke.”