Students meet with D.C. representatives

By Caroline Hall

Members from Student Government will meet with Kentucky representatives in Washington, D.C., this week to discuss intern programs and funding for UK students.

The Wildcat Interest Group is the newest service provided by SG, created to bring student interests to the attention representatives in Frankfort and Washington, D.C.

“WIG is a student-lobbying program created this year to help students express their wants and needs to state representatives,” said Kyle Snapp, SG deputy chief of communications.

Matt Doane, WIG’s director, and Nolan Jackson, the associate director, will meet with state representatives in D.C. Tuesday through Thursday to discuss an initiative called Wildcats in Washington.

Wildcats in Washington is a student organization that is challenging state representatives to hold spots specifically for UK students who are interested in interning in D.C. during summer break.

“The internship initiative is to send UK students to D.C. every summer to work on Capitol Hill,” Doane, a political science senior, said.

He said Washington, D.C. is one of the most expensive cities to live in.

“One of our major goals is to get the alumni association to start an endowment program and support students going to D.C. as ambassadors for the commonwealth and UK,” Doane said.

Jackson, a political science junior, also said a goal is to have the full support of the alumni.

“Through this initiative we hope we will be able to affordably provide great opportunities for students,” he said. “Our goal is to leave D.C. with pledges from delegates to secure internships for UK students.”