Stacey Poole hasn’t picked next college

Stacey Poole Jr.

Stacey Poole hasn’t packed up his stuff. He’s still living in a room with Terrence Jones. He hasn’t picked his next college yet.

Almost everything’s the same, except for the obvious: he’s not on the basketball team anymore after deciding to transfer two weeks ago.

“I know it’s a hard situation right now for him,” Jones said. “He doesn’t like thinking about leaving me and all his teammates he’s with now and his friends.”

But he will be soon, whether or not he and his friends push it out of their minds — which is what they’re doing for the last few weeks together.

“I try not to bring it up too much just because everybody asks him about it,” Jones said. “So I just try to let him be about that and just talk about normal life.”

So what did lead Poole to transfer? At first, it seemed like it was his dad, unhappy with Poole’s playing time, who was calling the shots. Poole insisted on Twitter the decision would be his. But since the announcement — a brief post on head coach John Calipari’s website — Poole hasn’t been heard from. So what was it?

“I really don’t know,” said Jones, before noting that he felt Poole had a place on UK’s talented team. “I felt he was going to play a lot. It was just him not knowing the plays that much last year. When it comes to talent and skill wise, I feel he had it down. He was just nervous playing and not really knowing the plays that much.”

For Jones, it’s an odd situation. Your roommate of one-and-a-half years has known he’s leaving for weeks. No more basketball. No more hanging out. No more late-night car crashes.

“He’s one of my best friends,” Jones said. “I’m just trying to be there for him.”

or email him at asmith@kykernel.com

gac2133 says:

I also think when Stacey gets older and looks back on what he should have done.He will resent his father for making him leave if he doesnt get a lucky break to make it to the NBA.Especially if Kentucky does win a championship.Stacey will see them celebrating every time it plays on ESPN and think he could have been apart of somthing special he could have taken thru his entire life even if he doesnt make it as a professional ball player it would be a life changing experience I wouldnt want to miss, not to mention all the other perks that go with being on a championship team.It would look pretty nice on a resume also if he choose to coach,commentate,etc… If I were his father I would be on Coach Cal’s door step begging him to take my son back and apologize for interfering in the first place and assure him it will not happen again.

gac2133 says:

I think Stacey’s dad got scared about the rummors of the NBA changing the rules to 20 or 21 years of age.If that would have happened it would have put Stacey in a bad situation with the current players not getting drafted next year and the new ones we have signed and will hopefully sign (Shabaz,Poythroess,Coleman)there would be no playing time available for Stacey to play if he even retained a scholarship. We would have had at least 3years of banners to hang if that would happen.

Gary Shelton says:

I hope for whatever the reason that Stacey makes the decision that is best for him.

BigBlueJohnny says:

I place TJ in the same group with Patrick Patterson and JOhn Wall with representing UK with class and control. I love TJ’s non-responses on the court when other teams are trying to get inside his head and he just locks them out with patience and emotional control. Anyone think that Stacey reverses his decision? WOuld Cal allow him to?

Michael says:

I respect the decision of Stacey Poole to transfer, as long as, it was HIS decision. But I must say, the dramatic change that Jones has made in his personality on and off the court is tremendous. He has shown true maturity and I’m extremely proud of him and his adjustment. Great teammate with tons of character!