Kentucky Geological Survey unveils super-sized geological map of Kentucky

By Caroline Hall

The Kentucky Geological Survey has unveiled a breakthrough geological map of Kentucky.

It released a super-sized geologic map of the state at a ceremony held in the Mining and Mineral Resources Building Thursday morning. Twenty-five maps were released and are some of the first of their kind. Showing 3 billion feet of Kentucky, all of the maps were published in the 30- by 60-minute geologic map series.

“They are an important contribution to society because the information they provide assists in the production of resources, protection of groundwater and the environment, stability of foundations and infrastructure, and avoidance of hazards,” Jim Cobb, KGS director and state geologist, said in a news release.

Kentucky is the first state of significant size to be mapped at such a large scale, making UK and the state the leader in geologic mapping and map technology. The maps show surface and subsurface rock types, formations and structures, such as faults.

“It tells us where the opportunities are in this state. Whether agriculturally, minerals, oil and gas, coal resources or limestone everything we use in the state, these maps categorize and tell us where it is,” said John Tate, a KGS board member.

Hard copies of the maps can be ordered from the survey’s publication sales office, Tate said.

“These maps are a cornerstone of our business,” said KGS board member Greg Yankey. “We require any engineer or geologist to examine the maps before they go into the field.”

The survey has made exploring Kentucky easier for students. It designed an app that can be downloaded to any smartphone or tablet. The app shows geologic formations, oil and gas fields, wells and mapped sinkhole outlines in a given area.

“These maps open up Kentucky,” said Carrington Wright, a geology major. “I’m not originally from Kentucky so I don’t know a lot about the geology of Kentucky. It gives you an idea of all types of geology in Kentucky.”

Full–sized copies and keys of each map can be found at the survey’s website, www.uky.edu/KGS.