UK BioPharm Complex opens new floors

By Ryan Winstead

The fourth and fifth floors of the UK BioPharm Complex are officially open and ready to conduct research.

UK College of Pharmacy researchers will work in the fourth floor, and faculty and researchers from the Markey Cancer Center will work on the fifth floor, with a cancer research focus.

Several UK officials, including President Eli Capilouto, attended the ribbon cutting ceremony, marking the opening of the top two floors of the BioPharm Complex.

Capilouto started the ceremony by explaining the importance the facility holds for the university.

“Today is a red letter day for UK,” Capilouto said.

He cited the opening of the top floors as “another investment for the future of UK.” Capilouto also read the list of names that helped construct the complex, saying “it’s a team effort.”

Tim Tracy, dean of the College of Pharmacy, spoke about the importance of the two floors merging cancer research and pharmacy studies.

“The complex allows us to get all of our faculty under one roof,” he said. Research collaboration is easier when staff are close together, he said.

Tracy also explained how the BioPharm complex will “draw world-leading scientists to UK.”

Peixuan Guo, a leading nanobiotechnology expert, was among his examples of these bright minds.

Dr. Mark Evers, director of the Markey Cancer Center, was the last speaker and noted the significance the complex yields to UK specifically.

“Kentucky is No. 1 in lung cancer in the nation,” Evers said. “The complex means a lot to Kentucky.”

He said he was “astounded at the institutional commitment” that UK offered the complex.

After the ceremony was complete, guests were encouraged to take guided tours of the upper floors.

The first three floors in the facility were opened in January 2010, housing pharmacy courses and allowing pharmacy faculty to make the transition to the new building, according to a news release.