Late-night dining is a South Campus hit

By Amelia Orwick

More than one week has passed since the unveiling of South Campus’ extended dining hours, giving students time to test out the new options.

Commons, Commons Starbucks, Ovid’s Café and Ovid’s Starbucks are open until midnight Monday through Thursday, giving South Campus residents and library-goers the opportunity to satisfy their late-night cravings.

Many students are thrilled with the change because of the safety benefits that it brings.

“With Starbucks open at Commons, I don’t even have to walk to the library when it’s dark,” Samira Ansari, a nursing freshman, said.

Students with a busy schedule, such as freshman Elton Mutugi, said they like the change because it gives them the chance to eat into the late night hours.

Although many are fans of the new hours, some have expressed disappointment with the change in payment options that occurs at Commons at 9 p.m.

“The extended hours are good if I have to eat late, but it kind of stinks that they don’t accept meal swipes after nine,” freshman Claire Vonachen said.

Other changes include the closing of the Fiesta Bar at Ovid’s Café after 10 p.m. and the switch to an all-you-can eat menu for $5.50 at Commons after 9 p.m.

This price is reduced from $9.50 before 9 p.m. All four dining locations have had great success, Executive Director of Dining Services Steve Henry said in an email to the Kernel.

Students are pleased with the changes, but employees have been forced to alter their schedules. “It was an adjustment for some of our students and full-time staff to work later,” Henry said.

The extended hours were put into place on South Campus only, and some students are left wondering what the future has in store for restaurants across Central and North Campuses.

Many students live on North Campus so it could be successful there too, Vonachen said.

Others believe that an extension of hours on North Campus is unnecessary. “Not as many people live on North Campus, and they can walk to restaurants easily. Here, we don’t have as much,” Ansari said.

Dining Services officials hope that students will continue to spread the word so that students will benefit from the new schedule into the future.

“We just need to continue to get the word out to the students that we now have some great late night options on South Campus,” Henry said.