Inside the Play: Switching on defense

UK is able to switch on defense because multiple players are multi-positional. In this play, UK switches multiple times, showcasing its defensive versatility that held Penn State to 15 first-half points. All of its perimeter players can switch without giving the offense any mismatches, and Anthony Davis can even play on the perimeter, as he does in this play. Another added benefit is the ability to get out in transition for easy baskets.

Doron Lamb is guarding a Penn State player, alone in the corner as the other four players maintain their space.

|

|

|

Lamb’s man drives right and receives a screen. Here’s the first switch, between Lamb and Darius Miller.

|

|

|

Miller is able to reverse directions and stay in front of his man, stopping his progress at the free-throw line.

|

|

|

Penn State passes to the other side of the court, where UK switches for the second time. This one is between Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Anthony Davis on the perimeter.

|

|

Davis is now out on the perimeter, but even the tallest Cat isn’t at a severe mismatch far from the basket.

|

|

|

The third switch comes off the ball, as the Penn State player at the top left comes across the court. Wiltjer was guarding him, but he and Kidd-Gilchrist switch. Kidd-Gilchrist slides out to the perimeter and Wiltjer moves up to take over Kidd-Gilchrist’s man.

|

The ball is now on the other side of the court from where it started, with Kidd-Gilchrist on the ball.

|

|

|

|

Penn State drives the ball, but Wiltjer slides to the baseline to meet him. Trapped between Wiltjer and Kidd-Gilchrist, the Penn State player has nowhere to go and can’t turn back, so he leaps into the air while heading out of bounds and tries desperately to pass the ball in.

|

Davis recognizes Penn State is in trouble and charges into the lane for additional help. Kidd-Gilchrist continues heading toward the basket and intercepts the pass.

|

|

|

UK loves to get out in transition, and their best way of doing that is off turnovers or defensive rebounds. In this case, Kidd-Gilchrist takes off with the ball. UK is 4-on-2 heading toward its own basket. Kidd-Gilchrist will pass to Lamb, at the bottom of the screen, for an easy layup and a 26-11 lead.

or email him at [email protected]