Calipari comments on 2012 signees

UK has officially received National Letters of Intent from Archie Goodwin, Alex Poythress and Willie Cauley. The early signing period ended Wednesday.

“I’m excited about all three,” UK head coach John Calipari said. “I think all three have the potential to do special things here.”

Goodwin was the first to commit.

“Archie is a combo guard who can really score the ball,” Calipari said in a press release. “I love his athleticism and length. He plays kind of like (former Memphis guard) Tyreke Evans, but can shoot it more consistent at this stage in his career than Tyreke could.”

Cauley provides a future post player. He currently plays both basketball and football for his high school, and UK head coach John Calipari envisions Cauley’s basketball talent growing as he focuses on just one sport.

“At 7-feet tall, Willie has great feet and great hands,” Calipari said. “When he starts zeroing in on this sport, I think people are going to be surprised at how good he really is. He’s got his best basketball ahead of him.”

Poythress was the last of the three to commit to UK.

“When Alex is at his best, because of his size and athleticism, he’s as good as anybody in the country,” Calipari said. “He is really athletic, and when he’s got his motor running, he can score at will. … Alex is in the line of the long, wing athletes that we’ve had.”