Pardon the Interlude: Sounds for the fall season

By Alex Sardam­

I’ll admit it, I was a tad bitter when I realized it was no longer weather-appropriate to wear my handmade cutoff jean shorts. Not only was I proud of my fashion accomplishment, I was sickened that the weather I once sported those raggedy shorts in was about as distant as the deep tan that warmed my now pale skin.

And as much as I hate saying goodbye to the weather that means musical festivals for days, I do enjoy something about this season. Of course, the crisp fall air welcomes cable knit sweaters and endless excuses to stuff your face with an array of homemade pies. But the real pleasure in this time of the year is the music that makes this weather feel more than just cold on your nose.

Something about the air at this time of year screams, “Go get cozy and listen to music, damn it!”

Sufjan Stevens always seems to do the trick. His gentle voice and whimsical sounding songs capture the essence of the majestic fall day. Check out his live recordings over studio albums. While his CDs are incredible, his live recordings sound quite a bit different in the way that the band explores the songs. The live versions leave room for more creativity and I’m talking bells, trumpets; the whole nine yards.

Another fantastic fall musician you should check out is Ray LaMontagne. A born and raised New England musician, LaMontagne captures the essence of mellow and blues without making you cry bland tears of boredom. He’s like the male Tracy Chapman, only a tad folksier.

Really any of his albums are great starter listens. However, I would recommend “Trouble.” It’s one of those CDs that’s easily accessible to all listeners across the board. If you’re looking for something a little more chill than that, check out “Til the Sun Turns Black.” That same soul is still there, it’s just a little darker and a bit slower.

Enjoy these tunes my friends. And enjoy this weather.