Women’s soccer receives NCAA at-large bid

By David Schuh

The UK women’s soccer team gathered in the Wildcat Den Monday afternoon to watch the NCAA Tournament Selection Show. And they didn’t have to wait very long to learn the good news.

The Cats (13-6-0, RPI No. 17) received an at-large bid in the NCAA Tournament and will host Washington State in their first-round matchup at the UK Soccer Complex Saturday night. It’s the program’s eighth tournament appearance, the first since 2006 and the first time hosting a tournament game since 1999.

“It’s an incredibly exciting moment,” UK head coach Jon Lipsitz said. “To see our name up there means a lot. These players made the decision to come here, to do this together and to make sacrifices. Our name is up there because of their hard work every day.”

Washington State finished the season 12-6-2, with a No. 48 RPI. Because Lipsitz is familiar with the WSU coaches and their style of play, he expects an exciting game.

“It will be a very entertaining game for the crowd,” Lipsitz said. “They’ll try to keep it on the ground and so will we. It will be a very tactical soccer game. I think it’ll be one of those games where you know that one moment will change the game.”

If the Cats win, they will likely travel to Charlottesville, Va., next Friday to take on No. 3 Virginia.

Saturday night’s game will start at 7 p.m. Tickets are available at the UK Ticket Office. Prices are $7 for adults, $5 for youth (ages 3-18) and UK students, and $3 for seniors.