How to dress for an interview

Landing an interview for your dream job after perfecting your resume and cover letter can be extremely nerve racking, especially when you’re unsure about how to “seal the deal” with your interview outfit.

The pressure of what to wear to your interview is nothing to take lightly. After all, a first impression is a lasting impression.

The expectations of interview attire vary from one industry to another; however, the purpose still remains the same. The following tips can be adjusted to the work environment within each career field.

Girls

• Choose one professional piece (Ex.: a blazer, pencil skirt or pants). Despite a more relaxed interview look, a professional piece still lets your interviewer know that you still take the interview seriously.

• Wear a patterned or colorful top. This is your opportunity to express your personal style.

• Accessorize with a statement piece (Ex.: a necklace, ring or brooch). A bold statement piece will help you stand out from other candidates. However, think minimalist. Try to avoid statement earrings or bracelets, as these may distract the interviewer from what you are saying.

• Carry a large-sized bag. This is a perfect way for you to carry your portfolio without the traditional briefcase look.

• Wear a suit. A suit does not equal a frumpy look. Try a high-waisted pencil skirt or tailored pants for a more modern look.

• Choose a simple top. Neutral colors like white, blush, cream and gray are good options.

• Avoid open-toe shoes and pointed-toe shoes. A standard 3-inch round-toe pump is best.

• Express your personal style with how you accessorize your look, but remember to keep the main focus on you, not your jewelry.

• Wear no more than two buttons on blazer. Any more than two buttons looks old, outdated and bulky.

Guys

• Wear casual slacks. Because of the more casual environment, dress slacks are probably a little too dressy. Be sure to wear something casual, yet still polished and professional.

• Be bold. Since your pants are casual, draw attention with your shirt and tie. Don’t be afraid of bold patterns (striped or gingham) or colors.

• Wear a cardigan. A cardigan over a shirt and tie gives the look a more professional feel.

• Your shoes are on you. Depending on how dressy or casual your look is, you can wear dress shoes for a more professional look or tone things down with a pair of loafers.

• Wear a power suit. In this career path, power and confidence are key! A black, charcoal or navy suit is best with a white dress shirt and tie. Ties can be bold, but remember the tone of the company interviewing you.

General Tips

• Know the style of the company.

• Dress for the position you are interviewing for.

• Fit is key. A well fitting suit, skirt or pants can make an outfit much more polished.

• Hair should be clean, neat and away from the face.

• Nails should be well manicured and short. Women should wear very light colors or clear polish.

• Keep perfume and cologne to a minimum.

• Panty hose are preferred by most employers (women).

• Makeup should be neutral and minimal (women).

• Men should avoid jewelry other than a wedding band and watch.

Dressing for a job interview is always a stressful process, but an accurate reflection of you and your abilities is worth it.