Women’s soccer falls in final home game of season

By David Schuh

The UK women’s soccer team lost 2-1 in overtime to Ole Miss Sunday at the UK Soccer Complex in the final home game for the team’s seniors.

After falling down 1-0 at halftime, the Cats (12-6-0) struck early in the second half off the foot of senior forward Kelsey Hunyadi.  Taking a pass near midfield, Hunyadi took a few touches and fired a shot from nearly 35 yards out that found the top of the net.  It was her 29th point of the season, which ranks her second in the SEC.

The remainder of regulation saw several good scoring opportunities, most by Ole Miss, as the Rebels hit the cross bar four times.  Luckily for the Cats, they escaped to overtime, but Ole Miss scored again two minutes later to end the game.

“We knew it was going to be a very tough game,” UK head coach Jon Lipsitz said. “The irony of it is that the little things that we focused on all week were the things that led to their game-winning goal.  I told the team that we earned this loss.  If we don’t take care of the details then we don’t deserve to win.”

It was a memorable day for the Cats four seniors, Kiondra McGee, Emily Rogers, Jenna Goblirsch, and Hunyadi.  Regardless of the outcome, it was a bittersweet day playing in their final home game.

“It’s been a long road,” McGree said. “I’m the only one to play all four years because of injuries to the others so it’s really important.  It’s memorable, but at the same time pretty sad.”

The Cats travel to Nashville, TN Friday night to take on Vanderbilt in their final SEC game.  Game time is set of for 8:00 p.m.