Why the Villains are villains

The Villains team for Monday’s game against the Big Blue All Stars is comprised of players who are both friends and enemies of UK. Here’s a look at what, exactly, these players have done to make themselves be considered a Villain.

Shelvin Mack (Butler) / Kenneth Faried (Morehead State) — One was born in Lexington, ended up going to Butler and reaching two NCAA finals. The other went to an in-state school, became a rebounding monster who garnered national attention and was a Cardinal Killer in the first round of the 2011 NCAA Tournament. They both played with the Big Blue All Stars in their exhibition tour. These two shouldn’t be made to wear the Villains shirt. Give them a blank penny from the Johnson Center and thank them for providing the extra bodies needed to actually have a game. And have a rebounding competition between Cousins and Faried.

Zach Randolph (Michigan State) — In 2000-2001, No. 2 Michigan State beat UK 46-45 in a December matchup. Randolph, who was a college one-and-done, scored two points and grabbed two rebounds. Which, I guess, technically could be considered the difference for Michigan State. But for the Villains game, I’m most interested in seeing Randolph battle Cousins (both of whom were on “Most Likely To Gain 30 Pounds During The Lockout Like Shawn Kemp”)

Corey Brewer (Florida) — The only SEC Villain, Brewer went 6-1 against UK and was a key cog for a Florida team that briefly eclipsed UK as the class of the SEC. Averaged 10.5 points per game against UK on his career.

Rudy Gay (Connecticut) — Scored 19 points in a second-round win over UK in the 2006 NCAA Tournament. Any player from a team who ended a UK season is an enemy. Speaking of, where’s Dwyane Wade for this game?

Terrence Williams (Louisville) — Had 19 points and 8 rebounds in a , former West Virginia — Or, a 1-3-1 zone.

***

Who are the NBA teammates going up against each other in the Villains game?

Chuck Hayes and Terrence Williams, Houston Rockets

Enes Kanter and Kenneth Faried, Denver Nuggets (UPDATE: The press release erroneously said Kanter was with the Denver Nuggets. He is actually with the Utah Jazz. We apologize for the inaccuracy.)

John Wall and Shelvin Mack, Washington Wizards