The week 8 Edge, Homecoming edition: UK vs. Jacksonville State

UK run defense vs. Jacksonville State running back Washaun Ealey

One year ago, at UK’s 2010 Homecoming showdown against Georgia, running back Washaun Ealey put on a performance the Cats’ defense will never forget.

Ealey carried the ball 28 times for 157 yards and an astounding five touchdowns, a school record, in the Bulldogs’ 44-31 defeat of UK. Ealey returns to Commonwealth Stadium 364 days later, on Homecoming once again, this time in a Jacksonville State Gamecocks uniform.

After serving two suspensions while at Georgia, Ealey was granted a transfer over the summer by Georgia head football coach Mark Richt. He chose to transfer to Jacksonville State of the Football Championship Subdivision, but now returns to familiar SEC stomping grounds in Lexington.

The Cats’ defense, however, is far improved from a season ago. A defense that struggled to keep SEC opponents off the scoreboard last year (UK allowed all eight of its SEC opponents to score more than 20 points in 2010, five of which scored at least 28 points on the Cats) now has a new look and a new man in charge.

Co-defensive coordinator Rick Minter’s 3-3-5 defense has shown immense improvements from a year ago, especially in stopping the run. Senior linebackers Danny Trevathan and Ronnie Sneed, along with senior safety Winston Guy, who has excelled in a new role closer to the line of scrimmage, will be critical if UK wishes to slow down Ealey and contain the Gamecocks offense.

Edge: Defense. Throughout the first half of the season, the UK defense was plagued with fatigue and frustration as a faltering offense kept the defense on the field for the majority of games. If UK’s new defensive scheme, designed to crowd the line of scrimmage, can successfully slow down the Gamecocks’ rushing attack, they should be able to remain rested and keep up the intensity for a full 60 minutes.

UK quarterback Morgan Newton vs. fans’ frustrations

This is an important game in the career of junior Morgan Newton as UK’s starting quarterback. Of the 120 teams in the Football Bowl Division, Newton and the UK passing attack ranks 116th in passing yards per game, averaging 119. The offense with Newton under center ranks 118th in scoring with 13 points per game — just nine per game during UK’s four-game losing streak heading into the bye.

With an inconsistent and banged-up offensive line in front of him, an inexperienced and even more banged-up stable of running backs behind him and a wide receiving corps that hasn’t shown the ability to catch the ball, Newton’s teammates have not helped him out much through the first six games. But in critical moments, Newton has folded, turning scoring touchdowns into a foreign concept for the Cats.

Now, Newton finds himself presented with a second chance. A golden opportunity to redeem himself and turn UK’s season around for the better. Will he take advantage?

Edge: No, Newton will not take advantage of his opportunity, giving the edge to the always-evolving frustrations of the fans. Even against nonconference opponents early in the season, like Western Kentucky and Central Michigan, Newton has struggled and relied on the defense, special teams and rushing attack to bail him out. Once again, a defense with inferior talent will have its way with the Cats’ signal-caller, and UK’s hopes of a Homecoming win could be in jeopardy.

Overall Edge: The overall edge goes to the Cats at home, although the margin of victory will be closer than many expected when the season started. If the running game can establish itself, the defense can prevent long scoring drives and senior punter Ryan Tydlacka can work the field position in UK’s favor, the Cats will improve their record to 3-4. However, if Newton cannot keep the football and the defense is exhausted by halftime (the pattern from UK’s last four losses) no win is a guarantee. Expect UK to respond and win, but by a narrow margin.